Film Animation Project
Taarini is an 11th grade student from Chennai, India. She is interested to work on a film animation project.
Taarini loves working with and learning more about animation, visual effects (Adobe Illustrator), and character design. She is also very into standup comedy, photography, guitar, debate and coding (Python, C, C++). Her current portfolio predominantly includes only traditional art mediums and she hopes this mentorship program will expand her horizon.
Scope of the program
What challenges did she face?
- Taarini has little knowledge in both digital art and story boarding, and this has brought some challenges working on the animation film.
- The most difficult part of the process was writing. Taarini had difficulties describing characters and locations in the film. The format of a script is tricky but with practice she managed to pick up this skill.
How did our program help her?
- Taarini learnt to properly format a script as well as the 3 act structure of short form storytelling. She completed an 8-page script and a movie clip.
- Taarini was able to get insights and guidance from her mentor about the admission process in art colleges.
- Her request for a recommendation letter from her mentor was successful.
Film Animation project mentorship overview
“From the beginning of the Internship I was made to feel welcomed and also was guided efficiently. In the very first session with my mentor, we spoke about what I wanted to gain from the Internship, what my final goal was and what we could do together to achieve the goal.
Throughout the Internship I was introduced to various aspects of film production, the practical side of producing a film, how to convey a certain message in a single frame and what a certain series of frames could convey. As a part of the final project I learned how to write a script.
It was my first time writing one yet, was seamlessly guided through the whole process. Although it was my first time writing a screenplay, I was seamlessly guided through the whole process. During the entire length of the internship I learnt a lot about time management and how to make both creativity and practicality work hand in hand to achieve a certain goal.
Overall, I not only thoroughly enjoyed the entire internship program but also came out of it with fabulous learning experience that I will cherish and carry with me for a long time.“
Matched professor in film animation project:
He is a 15-year veteran editor, digital content strategist, cinematographer, college professor and project manager. He has been teaching cinematography and editing at Tisch School of the Arts since 1999 and served as NYU’s Executive Director of Post Production for over two years.
““I will write a reference letter based on her work ethic and genuine interest in the subject.“Taarini is a great artist and she should keep practicing and working with others. She comes up with great ideas that feel truthful and are filled with beauty.“Lecturer from NYU Tisch
Excerpts from the student’s work
Freehand drawing and excerpts from Taarini’s script. Her script idea is about two teens who saved a park from closing by decorating it with street art.