Chemistry (Decomposition) Research
He Ling is a 12th grade student who wrote a paper on the subject of Chemistry (Decomposition) Research.
A high achiever in school, He Ling scored all As in her subjects. Her goal is to get into Harvard, Stanford or Brown University. She is very active in her extracurricular activities, having participated in track and field, swimming and performing arts.
Scope of the program
A weekly meeting program which help student identify research interest, and develop a research paper. Each week, student was given a task to structure the research finding and then leads to producing a literature review paper.
- Allow student to understand and experience the procedure in carrying out research.
- Encourage student to apply current subject knowledge to expand onto new knowledge.
- Train student to develop hypothesis of a solution to the problem.
- Guide student to develop effective communication of highly technical subject to a general audience.
What challenges did she face?
- He Ling has excellent extracurricular records but with none in Chemistry.
- He Ling needed a strong portfolio in Chemistry to help her in university applications.
How did our program help her?
- He Ling was able to deep-dive into a topic of her interest and write an excellent report under strong guidance from the professor. In this program in particular, she learnt a lot about chemistry (decomposition) research.
- Throughout the entire 8 sessions, the professor also provided insights into writing a good personal statement and UCAS application, and the ways in which He Ling can take her research paper into the next level.
A former lecturer at Imperial College. He is the Principal Consultant at Palmer International Partnership LLP, a leading engineering consultancy focused on the oil & gas industries. He earned his PhD in Chemical Engineering at the Imperial College.
Below is part of an example work done during the program:
Parts of the research findings done by He Ling on the topic of Decomposition of Plastic Waste Back to Useable Hydrocarbon