Tommy is a 12th grade student from East China University of Science and Technology Affiliated Middle School. He did a mentorship program on electrical engineering research.
Tommy is ranked top 20% of his class across all subjects. He has previously taken courses in C, Python, and Java as well as automated process control. He has done a beginner-level build of a temperature control system circuit board project.
University admission result
★ Vanderbilt University
★ University of Liverpool
★ University of Birmingham
Learning objectives for electrical engineering research
- Pick a machine-learning oriented project.
- Learn the basics of digital images and Python visualizing and image processing packages
- Learn how to use CNNs to make predictions based on image datasets
- Interpret results from CNNs
What challenges did he face?
- Tommy has good programming skills but needed a mentor to advance his skills through a project.
- His challenge was training and testing his dataset and to improve the accuracy.
How did our program help him?
- Tommy learnt scikit-learn library as part of Python programming language in order to manipulate and visualize his dataset.
- He learnt convolutional neural networks, a high-level machine learning algorithm in data analytics.
A Chemical Engineering lecturer at University of Washington. He integrates engineer and data science — including the DIRECT course series in software engineering and data science.