Just few years ago, publishing a research paper seems to be relevant only for Master’s Degree students and PhD candidates. However, as competition stifles, it has become more common among top high school and undergraduate students to publish their research paper as a way to distinguish themselves from other students in the admission process. As a high school and college student, the question is – how to publish a research paper?
Publishing a paper is not an easy task. There are many components in a research paper to think about – research paper framework, topic selection, literature review, research methodology and methods, research analysis and results, citations. It is a combination of showcasing your academic ability, critical thinking and logical thinking, and getting a research paper published is a valid way to endorse these important skills for a student.
How to publish a research paper? – Format requirements
Completing a professional research paper requires you paying attention to the format and content. A research paper usually consists of at least 3,000 words, on a chosen topic. The format of the paper includes the title, abstract, keywords and appropriate citations. The content of the paper includes the introduction, research objectives, aims and questions, critical analysis of literature reviews, research methodology, research methods, research analysis and findings, recommendations, limitations and conclusion.
How to publish a research paper? The researcher must prepare and complete every detail carefully.
How to publish a research paper with a teacher, lecturer or professor
If you have a good relationship with your high school teacher or university lecturer, and you know that they are working on a relevant research paper, you may ask to complete some experiments or research projects together under their guidance. In cases like this, it is typically more applicable for students who have exceptional domain knowledge and will be an asset to the team. Students are also expected to conduct and complete data collection and analysis, and help out with even the most trivial task.
How to publish a research paper? After the research has achieved certain results, the article may be published and with prior discussion, you can put your name in it.
Finding a lecturer or professor to co-publish is not the easiest way to publish a research paper, but once succeeded, it will definitely be a huge highlight in your resume.
If the teachers around you are not working on a research project, you may start looking online for collaboration. There are lecturers and professors from US and UK universities who need an extra helping hand. Google is your best friend!
Search online and email relevant publishers
The type of publisher to which the paper is submitted is very important. Before selecting a journal, you should know the type of content your research paper entails, and choose the same type of journal to submit your paper. Many amateur researchers fail to publish their papers due to improper selection of journals. For example, if you have written a science paper, then you should search for a science-relevant journal publisher.
How to publish a research paper? High school students would also have a higher chance of having their paper published if they select journals specifically targeted at high school students.
Professional research journals generally have their own official websites and submission contacts. Search for a relevant journal website, email or submit your application along with your completed research paper and you will get a chance to publish your research paper.
Participate in academic conference
Some universities with strong academic support often organize academic conferences. An academic conference is a meeting which researchers gather to present their latest findings within their field of work. The key idea of an academic conference is to exchange ideas, participate in a healthy discussion and to keep up with emerging trends. The side benefit of participating in an academic conference is that if you have interesting emerging research, the organizers will collect your findings and submit them. Here are some academic conferences suggested by Imperial College London.
How to publish a research paper? If your paper is included in the proceedings of the conference, then it can be published for free.
Journals which high school students can publish a research paper
- Journal of Emerging Investigators (JEI) – A peer-reviewed journal that publishes original research conducted by middle and high school students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Young Scientist Journal (YSJ) – An international journal that accepts original research papers, reviews, and commentaries from high school students across various scientific disciplines.
- The Concord Review – A quarterly journal that publishes high school students’ academic research papers in history and the social sciences.
- The Journal of High School Science Research (JHSSR) – A peer-reviewed journal dedicated to publishing research conducted by high school students in scientific fields.
- The Rostrum – A publication that showcases exemplary research, essays, and creative works by high school students in various disciplines, including science, humanities, and social sciences.
Journals which undergraduate students can publish a research paper
- Journal of Undergraduate Research (JUR) – A multidisciplinary journal that accepts research papers from undergraduate students across various fields.
- The Undergraduate Journal of Psychology at Berkeley (UJPB) – Publishes original research in psychology conducted by undergraduate students.
- The Yale Review of Undergraduate Research in Psychology (YRURP) – A journal dedicated to publishing undergraduate research in psychology and related fields.
- Inquiry: The Journal of Undergraduate Research at the University of New Hampshire – Publishes research across various disciplines conducted by undergraduate students.
- Journal of Young Investigators (JYI) – An international, student-run journal that accepts research articles from undergraduate students in science and engineering fields.
- The American Journal of Undergraduate Research (AJUR) – A multidisciplinary journal that showcases undergraduate research across different fields.
- The Berkeley Scientific Journal (BSJ) – Publishes research conducted by undergraduate students in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering.
Next, you may be interested in one of our students who published his research paper on JOURNYS.